Upper Mustang Trek is one of Nepal’s most beautiful places for tourism with its pure, ancient Himalayan complexity and Buddhist culture. It is as costly as you would imagine getting into this fascinating world of the Upper Mustang. However, the Upper Mustang Trek Cost is most expensive than other trekking destinations such as Annapurna, Langtang, and Everest region.
If you are seeking cheaper options, then you may try Lower Mustang Trek. The Upper Mustang Trek price depends on group size, availability of the fixed date, and how to get there relatively cheap.
Our Upper Mustang Trek customers only have positive reviews. Upper Mustang is much more convenient than other trails in Nepal to halt tourist crudes.
Table of contents
- Why trek to Upper Mustang?
- What will include in the Upper Mustang Trek cost?
- What do you expect to get a guide from our company?
- How do you know a company that specialized for Upper Mustang Trek?
Why trek to Upper Mustang?
It’s a remote, off-the-beaten-path in Nepal. The upper Mustang is visited by only about 1500 to 2300 tourists, while Everest Base Camp Trek has 30,000 tourists.
It is exceptional, over 4000 meters, due to colorful cliffs and the beautiful alpine pastures. These combinations are going to take very few places on this planet!
|Upper Mustang Trek||Quick fact|
|The High Himalayas such as Annapurna and Dhaulagiri massif||Over 6 to 8000 meters|
|Upper Mustang Trek difficulty||3 of 5 (Moderate)|
|Highest altitude||4200 meters|
|Best season||Spring, Summer, and Autumn|
|Trek starting & ending point||Jomsom|
|Mode of transport||Flight / Local bus / Local Jeep|
|Trekking days||More than two weeks (12 – 16 days)|
What will include in the Upper Mustang Trek cost?
Generally, the following services include the Upper Mustang Trekking cost while the trekking company sends you a travel proposal, although Himalayan Exploration provides customized trekking packages within Nepal.
- Upper Mustang Restricted Area Permit
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project entry Permit
- Guide and Porters
- Meals and Accommodations
- Transportation such as local bus or Jeep/domestic flights
The Upper Mustang Trek is one of the restricted trekking destinations in Nepal. You must also have a licensed guide or porters via a local trekking agency. And you’ll need to have the entry permits of upper Mustang issued by the Department of immigration.
In contrast, ACAP is from the Nepal Tourism board—noted that you might apply through a local trekking company for the restricted area. However, you’ll need two different permits, as mentioned above.
Note that Trekker’s Information Management Systems (TIMS) does not require while trekking in Upper Mustang. If you expand to Annapurna Circuit, it is mandatory.
Upper Mustang Trekking Permit Cost
|Annapurna Conservation Area Project Permit Cost||NPR 3000|
|Upper Mustang RAP||USD 500 per person, for ten days|
|Total permit cost||For one person USD 530|
A copy of the passport, the passport photo, and the original passport with the visa stamp are necessary to obtain the Upper Mustang Trek Permit. It will only take 3-4 hours to get a permit from Sunday to Friday (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Also, make sure that except for the public holidays.
If you don’t have an extra day in Kathmandu for a permit, some companies also facilitate to issue the permits without an original passport and a visa. If you would like to get a trekking permit issued in advance or check with your company, please contact us.
The guides and porters prices.
While Nepal has so many trekking trails, whereas tourists can go hiking without a guide. Besides that, Nepal has some trekking trails, which is not solo travel friendly because of the restriction that applies to the Upper Mustang.
It’s also mandatory to have at least two trekkers in a group to get the trekking permit. Please check with your company if you are traveling alone, whether they can match you or obtain a trekking permit. You will pay double the permits costs and trek with a real person if you go alone.
It is more expensive to hire a professional guide to Upper Mustang than any other trek in Nepal. The average price is between 30 to 35 USD a day, and that covers food, lodging, and guide insurance. It’s, of course, the meals are expensive due to remoteness.
Guide and Porter Cost For Upper Mustang Trek:
|Well trained and Skilled Guide with local knowledge||US$ 35/day|
|Professional & Experienced Porter/Guide||US$ 33-35/day|
|Experienced Trekking porter||US$ 28-30/day|
We also arrange a porter com guide if the customers ask us. But the price of hiring a porter is not that different from hiring a guide as well. Due to the food price and insurance, it is a little more expensive.
It would cost about USD 30 to 35 a day to hire a porter for the Upper Mustang trek, including lodging, accommodation, and insurance.
The positive things about having a porter guide help split the load and carry your kinds of stuff through the trail.
Even though it is highly recommended that you go through a qualified guide for safety reasons, you’ll be confident that they went through such intensive training to get their license.
Of course, it all depends on you as long as you don’t go Upper Mustang Trek alone without a guide or a porter. If you go either guide or guide com porter, it all-inclusive with the upper mustang trek price.
Transportation (Drive or fly)
The only most convenient way to get to Upper Mustang’s starting point is to take the 20-minute flight to Pokhara and then catch another flight to Jomsom the next day. If someone wants to take a long trip from Kathmandu, there’s a night or day bus to Jomsom as well.
It may be a cheaper option, but it may not be easy to get from a local bus to the Upper Mustang trek. It is a significant factor to understand how trailhead transport operates when planning the Upper Mustang Trek itinerary.
If you want to make yourself comfortable, I would like to recommend going on the first day from Kathmandu to Pokhara and spending a night there. It would be best if you also took a flight to Jomsom the next day.
Transportation cost list for the Upper Mustang Trek
|One way flight cost to Pokhara||US$ 124×2 = 248 per person|
|One way flight cost to Jomsom||US$ 130×2 = 260 per person|
|Direct Bus from Kathmandu to Jomsom local bus cost||US$ 28×2 = 56 per person|
|Kathmandu to Pokhara (Tourist Bus)||US$10 ×2 = 20 per person|
Meals and accommodation
Because of the town’s distant proximity, since Upper Mustang is one of Nepal’s remote areas, the cost of food is typically higher. All those who have been to other base camps in Nepal will be aware that the cost of food increases as the elevation rises. That is because the delivery of food is more complicated.
Supplies are transported from Pokhara to Jomsom by helicopters. And they used Upper Mustang and surrounding jeep, and horses as well. So you might imagine how much work put into every meal that you can eat in the region. You may want to budget about USD 8-10 per meal.
It has changed significantly in Mustang Region. However, speaking about this year, I assure you, basic accommodation at Upper Mustang is not a problem as tea houses have started to spring up in every camp. To bring up sixteen people at a time should not be a challenge to a small group. The cost for a single twin sharing bed is around US$ 6 to US$ 9 a night.
Telecommunications, and wi-fi facilities in the Mustang Region.
Only a few spots in the Mustang region have a cell phone signal. However, several villages do have a satellite emergency telephone. Some lodges in specific villages such as Jomsom, Kagbeni, and Jomsom provide wireless internet access at an additional cost.
It’s commonly known that if you need to make an extra effort, please don’t claim to be cheap because you’re being paid in the mountain. You may also wish to add additional costs to your budget for any trek in Nepal. Those things always exclude from the Upper Mustang Trek price.
- Charging batteries of your gadgets
- Hot Showers (available at lodges upon request)
What do you expect to get a guide from our company?
- We seriously take your safety and security. We also ensure that all of our guides are highly qualified and Government-authorized.
- Most of our skilled guides had come from the mountain region. They are familiar with restricted trekking areas in Nepal, such as Manaslu, Tsum Valley, Upper Dolpo, Upper Mustang, Kanchenjunga, and Nar Phu. So, they know their way in these mountains very well.
- All of our guides were at least two to three times a year at Upper Mustang so that you can be sure of their experience in this region.
- Our guide is mainly young but also well-educated and experienced. The guides can speak English very well and available for other languages too.
- We want to make sure you enjoy your time with Himalayan Exploration apart from being safe. All guides were earned 5 out of the 5-star scale from our previous customers.
- Every guide has an excellent link to the locals and tea houses in the trail. So contact with tea houses or searching for accommodation isn’t a problem.
- We hold the meetings with a guide before departure, or even by phone before confirming trekking with us, to ensure you have a good relationship with the guide. For questions, you can ask the guide and verify the expertise and experience. Due to any reason, if you are not happy, we will be glad to provide another guide that fits your requirements.
How do you know a company that specialized for Upper Mustang Trek?
Here are some tips on finding the right travel company for your next trip to Upper Mustang. Some of my below ideas could save a few hundred dollars but still end up with the best service. At the same time, you can ensure you have everything, particularly if you want to go with a large and expensive company!
- Check their legal documents to ensure the Nepal government is registered and licensed appropriately.
- Search for a company not listed in Google’s top ads section, as such companies will pass on advertisement costs to customers.
- Check out what other trekkers say about the service, such as Tripadvisor. These are independent reviews written by consumers and reviewed by Tripadvisor so that you can be sure of the level of service that these companies can offer. If 90% of their customers are well served, certainly, chances are, you will provide the same service.
- If your guide has a license, first aid, high-altitude training, insurance, and the right hiking equipment, consult with a local company.
As you probably learned from your analysis, Upper Mustang trekking is available at different companies’ prices. It is quite confusing because the price range is comparatively varied, and it is difficult to determine which company to trust. Before making choices, you can not miss out on a complete guide for Upper Mustang Trek.
For instance, to try and find out how much does the Upper Mustang Trek Cost from the international tour operators that exceed US$ 4000. However, if you search with a local travel company for Upper Mustang Trek price, you may be able to lower the price of the same package ranging from US$ 1800 to US$ 2500 per person based on the services provides.
Nevertheless, I assure you that Nepal’s local agencies will deliver an excellent trekking itinerary, and a fraction of the price is also equal quality. Whether you’re going to the more expensive or cheaper doesn’t matter because everyone sleeps in the same tea-house category.
There is nothing like a 5-star tea-house in the mountain area. As a local trekking company, we offer Upper Mustang Trek price for Nepali and foreigners too.